What is a Penetration Test?
Vulnerabilities can be found in 3 key areas: infrastructure; applications; and people. Penetration testing, also known as ethical hacking, is a process that is carried out to identify vulnerabilities and exploit them to determine the level of weakness. As well as a proactive approach to protecting the business, this service is often used to demonstrate security compliance and to build on the level of employee awareness.
By using structured methodologies, depth of technical knowledge and state of the art testing tools, the penetration test will make sure your cyber controls are working. By identifying any gaps, recommendations can be made for better controls and changes that can be implemented to improve the organisation’s defences and mitigate the risk of a successful attack.
The Penetration Testing Process
Our consultants carry out penetration tests which realistically simulate the actions of a cyber attacker to identify any potential weaknesses in the integrity of your system or your applications. Penetration tests are typically executed from outside your network but we can also test from inside your network to simulate insider threats. Regular penetration testing is now an essential operational requirement for all smart businesses.
Our specialists will advise how to resolve these vulnerabilities so that you can take a proactive approach and make changes before they can be exploited.
We follow a four-step process:
We work with you to define the critical applications, systems, and networks to be included in the penetration testing program.
Execution of penetration test
The hands-on interactive testing undertaken by our experienced team incorporates a wide range of attack methodologies including target profiling, target enumeration, hands-on manual testing, intelligent exploit attacks and application analysis of business logic.
Our team of experts uses a concept called “Purple Teaming” with a combination of both ‘red’ and ‘blue’ teams to share intelligence data and to ensure all attack techniques are detected. This process provides a stronger, deeper assurance activity that delivers more value to your business.
Our red and blue teams work closely together to maximise the effectiveness and deliver a more robust and dynamic service. Our red team carries out the attacks and challenges the business. Our blue team defends the attacks with the current security and infrastructure you have in place.
Our specialist team will present you with a full report of all identified issues, graded by criticality, including how we found them, how serious they are and how they compare to other firms in your industry.
We will give you a step-by-step insight into what you can do to resolve any areas we identified as vulnerable. Improvements can either be carried out by the in-house IT team or by our technical assurance team.
Carrying out regular testing will help your business to:
- Protect your company’s profits and reputation by fixing vulnerabilities before they are exploited by cyber attackers;
- Allow a more efficient use of resources and prioritise security investment;
- Achieve many cyber security frameworks and accreditations as regular penetration testing is often required;
- Gain independent assurance that your information systems, data, and assets are protected from threats;
- Gain a competitive edge and meet tender requirements when bidding for new work.
Why 2|SEC Consulting?
- We are CHECK and CREST approved to carry out penetration tests;
- We are certified other leading standards bodies such as QSA, PCI DSS, PA-QSA, IASME, CISSP, CISA, CISM, OSCP, SANS-GIAC and CEH;
- We enjoy high levels of client retention for this service;
- We communicate clearly – our mission is to ‘manage your cyber risks so that you don’t have to’ and we will communicate any issues or remediation recommendations in a clear and jargon-free way;
- We have the skills and talent in our teams to be able to rectify the risks as well as identify them.
Are your cyber controls working?
“We commissioned 2|SEC Consulting to conduct a series of vulnerability tests across our entire Group. It was a pain free exercise from our perspective. We ran some scoping and prep sessions with them and then had one of their consultants on site for a week or so to run the tests. He was excellent – very professional and required little input & guidance from us. We are continuing to work with 2|SEC Consulting as part of our overall IT security stream of activities and I very much expect to be using them again to conduct further, regular testing.”IT Director